- Sexual harassment in Bangladesh has driven some young women to suicide.
- Italian journalists are protesting against a new law forbidding them from reporting on wiretaps that are leaked to the press.
- In South Carolina, unknown candidate Alvin Greene, who barely campaigned, overwhelmingly defeated the Democratic Party's preferred candidate for the party's Senate nomination.
- Catholic bishop Luigi Padovese of Turkey was assassinated by his chauffeur Murat Altun, a former Christian who converted to Islam.
- After the city of Oakland, California spent $300,000 on a streetcar feasibility study, Stanford University student Daniel Jacobson developed his own streetcar plan for $1000 not counting his own unpaid labour.
- Former teacher and union activist Dennis Boaz of Ukiah, California is suing ten Mendocino County school superintendents for allegedly ending his career by calling him racist for using the word "niggardly".